What Do Influencer Marketing Agencies Do?
What exactly is an Influencer Agency? As the title suggests, an influencer agency is a company that works together with influencers and brands to conduct successful influencer campaigns, primarily through various social media channels. Some agencies specialize only in creating campaigns for specific brands, while others will happily work with influencers across every platform. Depending on the work required, some agencies will collaborate with creative departments at brand-owned or -funded media companies; others will work entirely independently.
An agency might create an ad campaign, which is then used by a brand to launch a website, apps, or events. They also can train influencers on strategies and tactics that will help them promote a brand using social media platforms. In short, the agency’s goal is to extend a brand’s reach, both online and off. Here are some of the most common ways the influencer’s agency conducts campaigns:
- Brand Management. This is one of the more popular forms of what do influencer marketing agencies do. These agencies manage the overall strategy and implementation of brand marketing. They may collaborate with agencies such as VISA and Sherpa to create customized campaigns based on influencers’ interests.
- Social Media Management. Again, this is a form of what do influencer marketing agencies do, but it applies specifically to brand marketing. The goal here is to partner with influencers in order to improve the longevity and relevance of a brand’s online presence. It may include everything from running competitions to helping to manage content on social media platforms.
- Influencer Campaigns. These campaigns tend to focus on two things. The first is building awareness and enthusiasm for a brand using social media platforms. The second is driving sales using platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Agencies may even work alongside brands to conduct surveys and focus groups to determine the right strategies for driving product and service awareness.
- Social Media Monitoring. Some agencies may work in tandem with other agencies and work in tandem with influencer groups to monitor and report on what they do and get involved in. Others may monitor campaigns in their own studios and handle the analytics for brands. Either way, the goal remains to improve the overall effectiveness of marketing. For instance, if a brand has an influencer campaign going, the agency might also take a look at how well that was promoted via Twitter and Facebook, for instance. If the agency did not implement measures to make sure that was happening, then it may not be a good idea to use the agency to promote your promotional efforts in the future.
- Measurement. One thing that many social media agencies do is measure the results of campaigns. Whether or not these campaigns were successful is important, but agencies need to know how effective the campaigns were so that they can make them better. In addition, many brands are hesitant to share data, which is understandable. However, agencies should be willing to share statistics on any campaign to better understand what works and what doesn’t. This allows you to better assess your own promotional campaigns as well as those of competitors.
- Tracking. A third thing that most influencers do is track their campaigns. With this in mind, agencies need to have the infrastructure in place to manage these campaigns in a timely and efficient manner. This will allow you to evaluate performance regularly, as well as provide insight into what your competitors are doing.
- Outreach. Some agencies may not be as high profile as others, so they may not want to advertise themselves too much or create too many campaigns in order to build reputation. While some influencers work well with agencies because of their strong relationship and preexisting good will, you may have to find other ways to reach them. In addition, you may not want to take on influencer marketing in-house because it can be more costly and time consuming than you initially perceived.
- Campaign management. Some agencies can handle everything themselves, while others have other staff that will manage the campaign for you. If you don’t have the budget or manpower to handle the promotions yourself, then it’s probably not a good idea to go through the trouble of hiring agencies to handle your marketing efforts. While they might be able to give you the right message and a great look, in most cases you will be better off handling the promotions yourself. This is where influencer marketing agencies come into play; by offering to handle the promotions for you.
- Branding. Agencies are charged with the responsibility of helping brands build their brands. While some brands focus on one particular area (like creating great product reviews), there are others that need to expand their brand in different areas. The rise of social media and YouTube has also given rise to a new breed of influencers who are building large fan bases (often thousands of followers) in their niche, meaning that even agencies which don’t specialize in that area might be able to benefit your brand and your image if they create a successful campaign.